Sunday, November 26, 2006

Snow!

The weekend forecast predicted snow, but a quick look out the window Saturday morning would make you think that snow was the last thing that would happen. Hardly a cloud in the sky and clear view through to the mountains, where the descending snow line is evident.

Took advantage of the good weather to go into town and so some shopping. Grabbed some bargains (2 x t-shirts, 2 x sweaters, 2 x business shirts, and a fleecy vest for $110) at Sears. Sears is a big department store along the lines of Myer or David Jones. They do have much better sales -at least on menswear- with many items discounted 40-50%. And it's good stuff that's discounted too. The clouds had started to gather by the time I got home at about 2. At about 3 o'clock, the Rolling Stones started their sound check for their concert at BC place that night. I could hear the sound check, and later that night their concert, from my place. It sounded pretty much the same as The Big Day Out did when I worked at Wayville. The Stones actually played for quite a while -went on after 8 and went through till about 11. No doubt 2 of those hours would have been the post 1980 songs that no-one cares for but there you go.

The snow finally appeared at about 5pm with just a few flakes. Went and had a coffee with Ashley (moved out to Vancouver from CHC Australia) and his family at a nearby cafe. During this time the snow really started to pick up. We discussed a possible trip to the snow in the coming weeks. The snow continued for most of the night.

It started snowing again at about 8.30 this morning at continued to do so all day (it's still going as I write this). They've even had to bring out ploughs ("that name again is 'Mr Plow'") to keep the roads safe.
Decided to brave it and go for another walk back into town to get a decent waterproof/warm jacket as it's obvious to me now that I'm going to need one as my current jackets are woefully inadequate and I don't want to ruin another leather jacket.
I'd forgotten how slippery it gets when it snows, so the walk into town took much longer as I avoided slipping over. Went back to Sears and bought a nice big (and warm) jacket. It too, was on sale with 40% off, so all up it cost about $100. Wore it back home and then went out to go for a walk along the marina and get some pictures of the snow.

Left: view from my balcony at 11am today.










The first photo had to be a Luke Byrne style "take a picture of your feet in the snow" and then one of my building similar to the one I took the other day for comparison.

Following this, I did a quick lap around the block. In one of the photos below, you can see that the marina itself is starting to freeze over. Any cars that were left out overnight were now covered with a thick layer of snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But was the jacket Gortex???